- 1/2 pound piece of slab bacon, sliced 1/3 inch thick and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1 container (16 oz.) Gordo’s Original Cheese Dip
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¾ cup finely chopped carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 can (12 oz.) beer (lager or pilsner preferred)
HOW TO PREPARE:
In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and excess grease. Add carrots, celery, and onion to saucepan until softened. Add broth, saving small amount for roux; heat to boiling over medium heat. Add the beer and cook until reduced by half, 5 minutes. In small saucepan, stir in flour, paprika, black pepper and ground red pepper with small amount of broth until lightly browned. Add this roux to large soup mixture to thicken. Reduce heat; stir in Gordo’s Cheese Dip. Heat until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in the bacon and season with salt and pepper. Add a few tablespoons of broth if the soup is too thick. Top with shredded cheese or chives, if desired. Serve with bread or crackers.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.