7 Memorial Day Must Haves
Sunday, May 28, 2017
Memorial Day is a day to celebrate those who have serving our county. As we celebrate the brave men and women who gave their lives for our freedom, many people spend the day relaxing by the pool or lake. While a nice day outside with family and friends is wonderful, we must not forget the reason we have the day off. Remember those who have given their lives so we can enjoy each others company, shoot off fireworks, and eat delicious food.
So whether you are laying by the pool, out on a boat, or heading to a backyard barbecue, here are the must have recipes to make the best of Memorial Day!
- 1 1 oz package spicy Ranch dressing mix, dry
- 1 container Gordo’s Cheese Dip
How To Prepare
Heat Gordo’s Cheese Dip, add Ranch dressing mix to taste. Serve with veggies, chips, or crackers.
2) Taco Hummus
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (15 oz) chick peas (garbanzo beans), undrained
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup Gordo’s Cheese Dip
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
How to Prepare
Drain chick peas, reserving liquid. In blender or food processor, place chick peas, oil, lemon juice, garlic, Gordo’s Cheese Dip and taco seasoning mix. Cover; blend until smooth. Add reserved chick pea liquid, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency. Garnish hummus with cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Recipe By: Culinary Hill
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup sugar (see notes)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can super sweet corn, drained (see notes)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (from 1 bunch)
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sugar, white wine vinegar, chili powder, and salt.
Add tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, and bell peppers. Stir to combine.
Stir in cilantro. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight to blend flavors. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- 8 eggs, hardboiled
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup Gordo’s Cheese Dip
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper to taste
HOW TO PREPARE
Hard boil your eggs. Remove shells, cut each egg in half lengthwise, and scoop out yolks. Reserve yolks in a bowl to the side. Peel and pit your avocado and add it to your bowl of yolks. Use a handheld blender or a food processor to puree together until smooth and creamy. Add cold Gordo’s Cheese Dip, lemon, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until smooth. Scoop into the middle of each egg white. Sprinkle with a bit of cayenne pepper and seasoned salt and enjoy! Keep them covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- 2-16 oz cans spicy refried beans
- ½ pound lean ground chuck scrambled, drained; add ½ pack taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup Gordo’s Cheese Dip (any flavor)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions or green onions, sliced
- 1 bag tortilla chips
HOW TO PREPARE:
First layer refried beans, next layer seasoned ground chuck, add third layer of sour cream, add fourth layer of guacamole. Drizzle with your favorite flavor of Gordo’s Cheese Dip. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and green onions. Dip with your favorite chip!
6) Pasta Salad
- ½ yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions whole, minced
- 3-4 radishes, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, julienned
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- Small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1/2 (16-ounce) box bow tie or other shaped pasta
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- ½ cup Gordo’s Cheese Dip
How to Prepare
Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, vinegar, relish, melted Gordo’s Cheese Dip, parsley, pepper and hot sauce. In a large bowl, combine pasta and prepared veggies. Add sauce mixture and stir to coat evenly.